· Mid June- December
· Can be eaten raw in salads, baked, stir- fries, and sautéed.
· Do not overcook collards as it will turn limp and mushy.
· Unwashed collards placed in a perforated bag will keep for about 1 week in the refrigerator.
· Contains high levels of beta carotene, vitamin A and E.
· Kale also provides some folate, calcium iron, and potassium.
· Rich in bioflavonoids that help prevent against cancer.
· High in fiber and low in calories.
HOW TO FREEZE COLLARD GREENS:
Cut off large, tough stems; discard all damaged leaves. Wash thoroughly several times. Blanch 1 lb. of greens in 2 gallons of water. Blanch for 3 minutes. Cool immediately in cold water, drain, package, and freeze.