· Late October- December
· Parsnips substitute well for carrots in most recipes.
· Add them to soups, stews, pot roasts, and salads.
· If using them as a cooked vegetable, peel and slice first.
· Can be stored all winter by layering in sand and storing in a cool cellar.
· Low in calories and high in fiber and carbohydrates.
· Parsnips contain some vitamin C, folate and potassium.
HOW TO FREEZE PARSNIPS:
Remove tops, wash, peel, slice or dice. Blanch for 2 minutes. Cool immediately in cold water, drain, and freeze.