· Mid June- Early July, September- December
· Use spinach in salads and soups, or steam, blanch or sauté as a cooked vegetable.
· Avoid aluminum pans because it gives it a grayish color.
· Spinach becomes mushy and water logged if over cooked.
· Recipes with Florentine in the name indicate spinach as an ingredient.
· Unwashed spinach keeps for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
· Provides high levels of vitamin A, folate, vitamin C and potassium.
HOW TO FREEZE SPINACH:
Cut off large, tough stems; discard all damaged leaves. Wash thoroughly several times., Blanch 1 lb. spinach in 2 gallons of water. Blanch for 2 minutes. Cool immediately in cold water, drain, package, and freeze.